[Hellsgate] Shield edging

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 20:04:19 PST 2010

What he said.  I wouldn't bother painting it because it's just going
to get tape smears all over it.  That's just me (and, err. . . I can
document that . . . the unpainted edging, not the tape smears)

I'm not sure how well the paint would hold up, it might end up looking
worse than if you left it raw.

Durability -- I've got rawhide that has been on two shields and is
going to go on the next one.  Except for the hide that covers the most
frequent impact areas (base sinister, in my case) the rawhide is going
to outlast the ply wood.

Ioannes
who needs a new shield the first weekend I'm home. . .

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Liam Gordon
<cenliamgordon2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Coenred,
>
> Both Ioannes and I use the rawhide from Tandy on our shields and works well. I reinforce mine with leather over it, so I am unsure as to how well it paints. But for strength and durability, it's good stuff.
>
> Liam
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 23, 2010, at 20:45, missinglink at phulesgold.com wrote:
>
>> OK...I'm getting started on my next shield (a center hold round) and I need a little advice from anyone who uses rawhide shield edging.
>>
>> 1. What source do you use for obtaining the rawhide?  Is the stuff Tandy sells as strips tough enough?
>>
>> 2.  Is the rawhide paintable once it is dry?
>>
>> Hope to have all this done before I return to the Stronghold, but we will see.
>>
>> In Service,
>> Coenred

and again.  We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani