[Hellsgate] Sunday Fighter Practice

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 11:05:33 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the other paw, the more connections you make with the folks in Bryn
> Gwlad, the greater the chances of getting them to come up and help out. It's
> an unfortunate truism in the SCA that travelling to a new or out-of-the-way
> group is perceived as "uphill, through the snow" by many people (even though
> travel *from* that area is somehow not seen as a hardship.) This is lessened
> quite a bit if the visitor thinks of it as "going to see that nice new
> fighter I met at practice last month" rather than just dropping in on a
> random fighter practice.
>
> Instead of doing a once-a-month attendance at the Sunday archery/fighter
> practice in Bryn Gwlad, would it be feasible to have a
> once-every-other-month attendance and on the alternate months make a big
> push to have the folks from Bryn Gwlad come up to Hellsgate for fighter
> practice? (Presuming my goofy work schedule cooperates,*I'd* be willing to
> come up.)
>
>        -Tivar Moondragon

I think this is a great idea.  Also, we might want to think about a
weeknight FP on Ft. Hood, so that we can draw more soldiers in.  Yes, we
have GOT to have the support of our amazing civilians, but we need to
attract the soldiers too.

Here's what I'm proposing:

Every other month, make a Stronghold push to be at a Sunday BG practice.
 Then, while we're there, try to get some BG fighters to commit to being at
our practice every other month.  Make it a BIG deal.  (I'm totally stealing
Sir Deitreich's idea here...)  See if we can't get the B&B up here, do it up
big.  Put on a nice lunch, maybe, if there's anything we can do a court
for...play it up huge!  We did a big push to have banners and whatnot at one
FP and it looked great!  Let's try that?

Once or twice a month, have an on-post fighter practice.  There are enough
folks that work on Ft Hood that can maybe stay or come back to whack each
other with sticks and show the soldiers that we play armored rugby.  :-).
I'm sure we can have a few folks there with flyers and the Hospitaller's
contact information.  I think we'll have better luck attracting the single
soldiers that way, since a lot of them don't come to the park on Sunday.  I
know we'll bump against the Social but I think it's pretty vital that we
start getting noticed on Hood.  After all, we are affiliated as a
Stronghold, and while our civilians are our backbone, we need to get some
military folks bitten by the SCA bug.

In service to my country, Stronghold and Crown,
Helene

--
"Whatever their fond sentiments for men and women in uniform, for most
Americans the war remains an abstraction – a distant and unpleasant series