[Hellsgate] Fighter Loaner gear

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:45:02 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Ken Riley <grimthebald at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We have one mask, one hood and 4 jackets (3 are on the small side).  I'm looking
> at getting a rapier gorget, rapier gloves, and a rapier with an epee blade.  The
> total will be about $235 plus shipping.  Anything else that we may need will be
> made by members of the group.  The goal is to have one set of rapier gear for
> now.

We need to get a proper heavy rapier.  Epees aren't used in Ansteorra
except in Youth Fighting, and cannot be used in practice against heavy
rapiers.  They are too lightweight and will bend in half if used to
parry.  The cheapest ones are the Zen Warrior ones, or I would
cheerfully look for one at War, just give me a price limit.  Zen
Warrior rapiers with a 37" blade can be had for $120 plus shipping, to
give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Also, to save money on gloves, go to a surplus store and buy those
basic training black leather ones.  They work just fine.

Ioannes
and again.  We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani