[Hellsgate] From the Lord and Lady of Hellsgate

Baroness Myfanwy ferch Eifion bb.bryngwlad at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:47:57 PDT 2011

Greetings unto the Stronghold from Lord and Lady of Hellsgate!

Many of you have brought to our attention personality and procedural concerns.  We have witnessed some of these concerns on your mailing list and on Facebook.  We have had the opportunity to talk to some of the individuals and we truly appreciate their honesty and straightforwardness concerning these problems.

First, we would like to reiterate what we posted to the Facebook page:
We would like to take a moment to remind everybody that the number one goal of this group is to work together to give the soldiers in Fort Hood, their families, and the families in the Killeen and Belton areas a place to play the SCA and join the SCA family.  Please, when posting, remember that the written word sometimes sounds harsher and try to soften how you are saying things.  When reading posts, remember the written word sometimes sounds harsher and try to soften what you read into the message.  Remember that everybody means to do what is best for the group and so please do not assume animosity when things are done differently.

Second, until now, the Stronghold has been given fairly autonomous leeway with encouragement but no directive from the Lord and Lady of Hellsgate.  Due to these concerns being potentially damaging to the group and noticed by Their Majesties and Great Officers, we will now be taking a more active role in the health and wellbeing of the group.  This does not mean the group will have to do it our way, but we will be more pro-active in dealing with conflicts and issues that arise.

Third, please remember that the mailing list and Facebook page are a window into the group.  Although it is common for minor snits to occur, those that are not fully integrated may view these snits as a larger problem and may decide to not participate.

Fourth, we encourage everybody to try to work out problems before they become major issues.  The proper order of complaint is: directly with the individual, directly with the individual copying Ourselves and the Seneschal.  If it involves an officer, it is the same order of complaint, with then sending a letter to their upline officer with copying everybody who was copied before.  Please allow 3 business days for a response before escalating.  Remember that some people are not comfortable with email and so phoning them may be a better communication tool.

Fifth, officers please remember to send a copy of your report to the Seneschal and Ourselves.  Timur, as Seneschal please remember to send a copy of your report to the Treasurer and Ourselves.  In addition, we strongly recommend each officer to copy the corresponding Bryn Gwlad officer in your report.  This helps with two things: 1) Communicating the health and ongoings within the group  2) Covers you in case of complaints from upline officers in regards to the health of the group.

Please, if any of you have anything you need to talk to us about, always feel free to email us at bb.bryngwlad at gmail.com, call us at the number listed in the Blackstar, or talk to us face-to-face.  We are here to facilitate, moderate, or just listen.

In service to the Stronghold, the Barony, and the Kingdom,
Phelim and Myfanwy
Baron and Baroness of Bryn Gwlad
Lord and Lady of the Stronghold of Hellsgate