[Hellsgate] Geekfest Demo

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:19:21 PDT 2012

At 05:00 PM 8/6/2012, you wrote:

>Dowels could work although a bit absurd. Well at least it wouldn't
>require the use of masks.

No. Not with my face and not on any field I'm marshalling. Dowels
would flex a bit, and then break if there was a strong impact--like
your opponent stepping forward just as you make a thrust. That
happens fairly often on the rapier field, and I'm not risking my
friends' eyes with illegal (by SCA standards) weapons and
insufficient armor just for a demo.

If we can't get proper SCA gear approved by the powers-that-be at the
school, I think we'd be far better off just doing armored combat and
show-and-tell. Maybe bookmark some YouTube videos of rapier fighting
and have a laptop set up to show them.

         -Tivar Moondragon
stodgy old stick-in-the-mud