[Hellsgate] And now for something completely different

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Jul 14 23:32:18 PDT 2012

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, STEPHEN STEGER <knightslament at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Coolness i was just asking because I wasnt sure if SCA alloted for
> special meetings or not.

There are some broad SCA-wide requirements for how laws, rules, and
decisions get made.  There are some requirements for certain specific
circumstances; for example, before elevating a landed baron/ess, the
kingdom must poll the paid members of SCA Inc that live in the ZIP
codes in question, but others may be polled too.

But on the tactical level, each group makes decisions more or less how
it chooses.

For example, I was in a previous group riven with in-fighting.  They
had votes at their business meetings.  After some intervention from
the kingdom seneschal, they tried to go much more with a formalized
process of consensus.  Another group I was in was more bureaucratic
than in-fightingable: they did more Robert's Ruleish stuff like
reading the minutes and voting to approve them.  Other groups I've
been in have been much more informal: officers decide on things in
their own bailiwicks and announce them at the business meeting, or if
it's a group thing like participation in an event or demo, the
seneschal may well just ask "sound like a good idea?" and get a sense
by the replies of "sure!" or "I wouldn't".

So "the SCA" Inc doesn't say anything about special meetings (except
for its own Board of Directors).  Hellsgate can run things pretty much
how it chooses.

Daniel Lindocollinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com