[Hellsgate] Thoughts on Demo

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:46:50 PDT 2012

Ioannes explained it better than I could.  We've moved away a bit, as time
and tides have turned, but I am still very very very much attached to
Hellsgate and I want to see it succeed.  Mel, Timur, Coenred, and everyone
else who worked so hard to get the group set up know that this is a labor
of love, and we all want it to succeed more than anything else.

I will apologize for my cranky-assed posting, and will tell you that I am
proud of how much we've grown and how much work everyone is doing now.

Helene

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM, John Atkinson <johnmatkinson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Demos should not be demos for "Hellsgate" but for the SCA, of which
> the local group is Stronghold of Hellsgate - under the Barony of Bryn
> Gwlad.
>
> It is not unusual for small groups and small events to be delayed on
> getting information up on websites - it is a perennial problem when
> web ministers are all volunteers.
>
> To understand where some of my kneejerk reaction is coming from on
> this, you would have to delve into the history of the SCA in Bell
> County.  One of the reasons we set land speed records in getting this
> group into existence in a place where Kingdom had disbanded not one,
> but TWO shires (and if you don't know that story, sit down with Lord
> Coenrad, Helene, or myself some time and get it told - it might help
> you understand why we look at this group in a very proprietary way)
> was that we were always careful to be seen to be actively supporting
> other groups around us and the Kingdom as a whole.  Hellsgate was
> about the Kingdom first, Barony second, ourselves dead last.  If it
> was any other way, we wouldn't have an official group there.  I
> remember being told, "It will be a decade before Kingdom lets anyone
> set up a group there."
>
> I'm not saying that this is your intent.  I am saying that I am
> extremely sensitive of a perception of Hellsgate being insular and
> inward focused.
>
> Ioannes
> whose Comet does have 'incipient' scratched out on it. . .
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM, STEPHEN STEGER
> <knightslament at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok thank you all so far for the input. I do want to clear two points. 1
> I dont intend on anyone outside the group on assisting. its nice if they
> do, but it would be our demo. 2 I was well aware of shadowlands event. I
> checked their site, nothing but a blurb about it being their birthday, and
> thats on a google calendar. No other info or mention of hosting an event on
> their site.  if their event is one day only like quite a few are, then i
> dont see  an issue doing a demo the other two days.  Lastly, were missing a
> whole bunch of prospect membership not having anything near temple, belton,
> or salado. A booth at the fair will put over a thousand in foot traffic
> within sight and sound of someone in garb, not only from our area but
> across our kingdom, and with some literature we can support the entire
> kingdom by putting potential members on the path.
> > ------------------------------
> >  On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 8:41 AM CDT John Atkinson wrote:
> >
> >  >I would be very surprised if the nobility blessed off doing a demo
> >  >against a local event. And if I have a choice between a demo and a
> >  >tourney, I'm at the tourney, even if it is a relatively small event.
> >  >As for whether folks would be going to Shadowlands, if you are free
> >  >enough to do a demo, you really ought to go support a local group at
> >  >their local event. Just saying.
> >  >
> [...]

"Whatever their fond sentiments for men and women in uniform, for most
Americans the war remains an abstraction – a distant and unpleasant series
of news items that do not affect them personally."- Robert Gates, Secretary
of Defense.