[Hellsgate] And now for something completely different

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Jul 15 10:08:25 PDT 2012

Sorry to yammer on at such length.  Feel free to TL;DR and delete.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, STEPHEN STEGER <knightslament at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Coolness i was just asking because I wasnt sure if SCA alloted for
>> special meetings or not.

We HAVE to allow for emergencies / short-time-frame decisions.
Murphy's Law is more reliable than gravity and stuff happens.

> There are some broad SCA-wide requirements for how laws, rules, and
> decisions get made.

I forgot an important one.  Each branch is required to have a
Financial Committee by
- SCA Financial Policy
   http://treasurer.ansteorra.org/files/policies/SocietyFinancialPolicy.pdf
- Law of Ansteorra
   http://seneschal.ansteorra.org/forms/Kingdom_Law_2012.pdf
- Kingdom of Ansteorra Financial Policy
   http://treasurer.ansteorra.org/files/policies/AnsteorraFinancialPolicy.pdf
   Ansteorra adds more requirements to the SCA ones.
- Branch Exchequers' Handbook
   http://treasurer.ansteorra.org/files/policies/BranchExchequerHandbook.pdf
   or under http://www.sca.org/docs/library.html
   LOTS of good advice and a very lively style.

There are some basic requirements: members must be SCA Inc paid
members; at least three; must have a warranted treasurer and
seneschal (per SCA) and at least one more officer/deputy (per
Ansteorra); yadda yadda.

Each branch must have a Financial Policy that says how it works, and
those laws list many how-to issues that are required to be addressed.
The SCA mandates that no branch may spend money without approval from
the branch Financial Committee according to the branch Financial
Policy.

Still, a lot is left to the local branch on who does them and how.
The Branch Exchequers' Handbook has things like "It is not required
that [specific thing].  Some do, some don't.  It is left up to the
individual branches to find what serves their needs best."

So if, for some reason, this demo would require spending any money,
the person running it needs to get to the Hellsgate Financial
Committee.

Denyel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com