[Hellsgate] What to do with your A&S results

Scot Eddy mister_eddy2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 21:26:44 PDT 2012

Bryn Gwlad had an A&S display with judging form and a chance to learn how to judge. If you weren't there you missed a cool opportunity. Never fear, other opportunities like that will happen again.

Maybe you're wondering what to do with the score sheets, documentation and other stuff you got from that A&S "competition".

Maybe you're also wondering how Master Jovian got so talented, intelligent, and handsome. Good genes, really.

But seriously, here is a chance for an AAR (After Action Review) I know the Army uses the AAR and I know nothing about it. Perhaps you could use their template as is, maybe you could revamp it to our purposes, or you could make your own. The idea is to make a tool to help improve your chances of a good score next time.

I entered this Fall Baronial A&S and here is the AAR I did for myself....

FISHING LINE A&S DISPLAY
After Action Report

Displayed at BG Fall Baronial (2012)
1 page documentation
Laid out on table with no display
Judged by Goldweard of St. Golias (BG)

Scores and Ways to Improve
Methods/techniques – 10
Comment - Not sure if this score is accurate, but might need to create the
machine and plait it that way.
Improvement - Try several styles and see which one might have been the way it
was done.
Quote – “Accurate. Weave extremely tight”

Materials – 10
Comment -Look for 36” horsehair.
Improvement - Other than that, I’m not sure how this could be improved.
Quote – “Accurate. Horsehair.”

Complexity – 9
Comment - Score should have been 2-3, not 9.
Improvement -Have several dyed lines, lead fishing weights, floats, pole, etc.
Quote – “Braiding is not a highly complex technique. However, it is accurate for
what was done.”

Workmanship/Skill – 9
Comment -Score was probably too high. Should have been 4-5.
Improvement -
Quote – “Braiding is extremely even and tight. Continuous strands tied neatly.”

Presentation/Overall Impression – 8
Comment – Judge was accurate. Needed to be better displayed.
Improvement – Display with card describing color, month that color was used,
how the dye color was made, add sinkers, floaters, pole etc to make a
more robust display.
Quote – Good presentation. I would have placed it against a dark background.
Initial appearance is a pile of string. Fascinating to learn history of fishing line.

TOTAL SCORE – 46
    Should have been 34-36.

1) I give info about when and where I competed and who my judge was.
2) I list each of the criteria (bold and underlined) from the judging form with the score.
    a) 'Comment' is for me to comment on this portion.

    b) 'Improvement' is for ways that I could try and improve for next time. Perhaps there isn't
        a way that I can see to improve. I might ask the judge or other artists.
    c) 'Quote' is the quotes that the judge wrote on the form.
3) I will get a 3 ring binder with sheet protectors. The judging form goes in one sheet protector             with the documentation inbetween then the AAR sheet goes in the same sheet protector
        facing out the back side.
4) I should have taken a photo of my display. I'm visually oriented so that helps me remember
        how the display was set up.
5) Once I've done a few of these I have a portfolio that I can share with judges, other artists,
        prospective Laurels (if you're looking to be an apprentice)

This is the first time I've ever done this so I probably will change the layout and wording, but it should be a useful tool for me in the future.

Please let me know if this was helpful, if you have any questions, or if you have an idea for improving this AAR form.

Grace and Peace,

Jovian