[Hellsgate] "My lord", "my lady"

STEPHEN STEGER knightslament at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 19:23:27 PDT 2012

Seeing as all  this conversation  started shortly after  I lovingly corrected  My Lady (who is so brand new I haven’t bought her membership yet and hasn't done anything but post on the list once) when she referred  to me as m'Lord,  letting her know that m'lord is ok. Such as we all call each other here except like Lord Eric is in fact Lord Eric and so on for the rest of Hellsgate with titles . I figure now I am going to give my reply.

I am within my first six months  of being a member. On the SCA Main website under newcomer info you will find the following;

Rank in the SCA, or Who are those people wearing crowns?
The SCA has an elaborate system of rank, awards, and honors to reward participants' accomplishments and service to the Society. Everyone is presumed to be minor nobility when they join the SCA, but any noble titles or honors used in the SCA must be earned in the SCA. These honors are bestowed by the King and Queen during their Royal Courts. You will find that the SCA's system of rank differs rather radically from that of Europe during the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Like many of the SCA's institutions, our system of rank wasn't so much planned as evolved.

Now that being said even minor nobility would be recognized properly.
Now I do not have an AOA or any award for that matter.

In being brought up  I was taught that God was with A "G" and gods with a "g".

Now since being in the SCA I know somewhere I came across that people with  AOA's or higher were  Lords and Ladies with a "L" or by their other summary of earned titles.

But I was also told that when in doubt and in courtesy a good m'lord or m'lady will do. I use titles out of respect and where they are earned. So right or wrong whether you have earned a title or haven’t, out of simple respect for each person out there playing and posting is going to continue to get a m'lord or m'lady from me unless of course I am aware of your title.

For me it is about respect for each person.

Stephan