[Hellsgate] "My lord", "my lady"

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Sep 12 21:18:30 PDT 2012

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Joe Simmons <ESIMMONS001 at hot.rr.com> wrote:
> Not to dispute your kind words m'lord. However being a long time
> member and understanding that within the SCA I was taught that all
> are worthy of the m'lord / m'lady not as a title but rather as a
> courtesy. Also I was taught that all members of the Society are
> considered to be of noble birth and therefore worthy of the courtesy
> accorded one of noble birth.

My singular good lord, we are in vehement agreement.  I entirely agree
that "my lord" and "my lady" are quite usable to any person.  I merely
wanted to point out the method in which they can be used.

I agree that anyone should receive the courtesies of gentle birth,
unless they prefer to play a lower persona.  I knew of a fellow who
delighted in playing a peasant persona under the name of Slime.  It
put rather a crimp in his style when they gave him a court barony ...

Denyel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com