[Hellsgate] "My lord", "my lady"

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:46:40 PDT 2012

At 02:57 PM 9/12/2012, you wrote:
>If I may intrude with a bit on titles?

(snip)

>One of the ways in which the SCA is an improvement on period is that
>we do NOT generally have the insanely proud insistence on recognition
>of rank, title, and precedence that they had in period.  More: in my
>experience, the higher-ranking the SCA person, the less they care.
>So don't worry about messing up titles for people with rank.
>For example, if you mladied our lovely Baroness Myfanwy, or mlorded
>Master Tivar or Duke Kein, I would be surprised were they to even
>mention it and utterly astonished were they to take offense.

Not likely.

Funny story about that: I'm a Court Baron, among other things, but
rarely wear my coronet unless I'm at court (and not even then if I
forget, or it's cold or hot and a hat is a better choice.) I was at
an event some years ago and had put on my coronet for court. One of
the folks at the event noticed and started apologizing because he'd
been calling me "Don Tivar" rather than "Your Excellency" all day.

I had to explain that if I'm not wearing the symbol of my rank, I can
hardly expect people to be psychic enough to know all the stuff I've
got. (Heck, half the time *I* don't remember all the awards and
titles I've accumulated in the past 37 years.)

         -Tivar Moondragon
Court Baron, Pelican, Premier White Scarf, Star of Merit, Lion of
Ansteorra, Sable Thistles in Costuming and Rapier Research, Queen's
Glove of Ansteorra, Queen's Grace of Atenveldt, Queen's Blade of
Honor from HRM Cateau, Queen's Rapier, Order of the Halberd and the
Order of the Dreigiau Bryn of Bryn Gwlad, Order of the Sable Comet,
Circle of the Ascending Star, and Champion to HRM Tessa of the Gardens
(In case anyone is keeping score. <G>)