[Hellsgate] Weekend weather (was: Loaded)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:27:33 PDT 2012

At 09:22 AM 9/28/2012, you wrote:

>A bit concerned if we get heavy rains vehicles
>won't be able to get back up the hill to the main road.
>
>Eric

There *is* an alternate, not-so-steep route off
the site that we can probably use if things get really bad.

And, in case anyone is worried about flooding,
Don Eule (who is *very* familiar with that site)
posted the following on the Bryn Gwlad email list earlier today:

"Lake Austin is a constant level lake and does
not flood.  The site is mostly sandy and drains
very quickly.  I wouldn’t, however, recommend
that you drive along the river.  The parking lot
will be slick but not impassable.  There is heavy
equipment onsite to help folks get unstuck if
needed.  The folks who are authorized to use them know who they are.

Besides, Lake Travis would have to fill up first
and that’s a pretty tall order right now (but I hope it does)! ;-)"

And

"One other thing of note about that site
.

Pecan trees are self-pruning.  When the leaves
get heavy with rain it tends to put strain on the
branches and they could break.  If you hear wood
cracking above you, I would recommend that you move out from under it. ;-)

Also, in the past, when there has been a lot of
rain (*much* more than is expected this weekend),
the ground has gotten soft enough for some of trees to completely fall over.

Just be aware of what’s going on around the trees and you’ll be fine.

Eule/Steve"

         -Tivar Moondragon