[Hellsgate] On the subject of marshals...

Dave Goldie missinglink at phulesgold.com
Thu Sep 19 18:05:21 PDT 2013

It appears , based on some grumbling I am hearing, that I need to clear the
air and set some facts straight.

-Last weekend, at War of Ages, I was speaking with the Bryn Gwlad Knights
Marshal about reporting.  It came up that I was NOT officially a KM for
Hellsgate, never having been warranted in the position.  This prompted me to
re-look the way I was doing business.

-Thursday afternoon, BEFORE SOCIAL, I was called and asked if I needed
someone to cover duties as the marshal.  I again stated that I was not
officially the KM.  This prompted ME to e-mail the Kingdom Earl Marshal to
attempt to bring myself into compliance with the Corpora and Kingdom law.

-About Monday, I received a follow up call from Sir John of Severn in which
we discussed what was required to run an official practice, the fact that
even if we call it "unofficial" if we hold it at our regularly scheduled
gathering it still had to have the proper people present, and what we were
going to do to rectify the problem for both the Chivalric and Rapier
communities so we could continue holding practices and be in compliance.
Following this phone call, I contacted Lord Eric to let him know what had
occurred.  Somehow, it has been assumed that some incident that happened at
Social last week (which I was not present for) was the reason this happened.
Let me state now:

THE REASON THIS HAPPENED IS BECAUSE I BECAME AWARE OF A DEFICIENCY AND TOOK
ACTION TO CORRECT IT!!!

If you have any issues with the way I handled this situation, please refer
them to ME and we can stop assuming we all know what is going on when only a
limited number of people have the facts.   Be aware that I will NOT keep
anything regarding this incident or any emails sent to me about it in
confidence.  This needs to be an intelligent, mature, public discussion so
we do not find ourselves in this situation again.  In case some of you don't
know or may have forgotten, failure to follow the rules and personal
politics killed the last group.  If you do not think I am serious about
keeping this group legal and functional, TRY ME!  I am Hellsgate first,
last, and always.

All that being said, I am working with the Earl Marshal and the Bryn Gwlad
Knight Marshal to get the proper deputy warranting taken care of.  Sir John
also stated that he would speak to the Baronial Rapier Marshal about getting
a warranted Deputy for Rapier up here.  Until all of this is resolved, we
have to step back and hold off on practices.  I can tell you that I will not
be putting up with activity outside the Kingdom Law on the Chivalric field.
The rules are there to protect us and the Society as a whole.  I intend to
uphold them to the utmost of my ability and you can bet that if I become
aware of another deficiency, I will do what is necessary to correct it.  If
that hurts your feelings or you no longer feel we can be friends, I will be
OK with that.

In Service to the Stronghold, Barony, Crown  and Society,

Lord Coenred aet Rauenesdale