[Hellsgate] Tonight's Social

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jan 9 21:28:17 PST 2014

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014, Michael Lewis <miconious at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry I missed social tonight. On my way there my apartment manager
> called me. I am now being evicted from my apartment because my ward,
> Bryan, decided smoking pot is a good idea. I have 3 days to get
> packed up and moved. Fortunately a friend is able to hook me up with
> a place to move to.

Oh, no!

The Austin Tenants' Council was a great comfort to me when I got an
eviction notice (luckily, it was simply misaddressed!).  They have a
factsheet on evictions at http://www.housing-rights.org/evictions.html
.  In particular, "The tenant does not have to move out of the unit by
the date indicated on the Notice to Vacate.", but there are procedures
to follow and some hard deadlines at points.  (Never miss a legal
deadline or legal requirement.)

Maybe you want to move out anyway.  If not, you might read that page
and other pages there (like the Myths page), and certainly you would
need to read the lease thoroughly.  ATC might be willing to answer
questions from someone outside Travis County, though it indicates "The
procedure and time period may be different in other counties".  Or
maybe they can direct you to another resource that's more local.

"<italics>The information in this brochure is a summary of the subject
and other pertinent matters. It should not be considered conclusive or
a substitute for legal advice. Unique facts can render broad
statements inapplicable. Anyone needing legal assistance should
contact an attorney.</italics>"

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com