[Hellsgate] Yule revel website

Casey Weed seoseaweed at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 07:36:23 PST 2014

Font Size CommandsMaybe you'd like a little more control over your text
size. This used to be done using the <FONT SIZE> commands, but they've now
been depreciated in favor of CSS, so I'm going to give you the CSS now, and
explain in more detail later.

To use CSS all we need is the Style attribute:

We've just used what I like to call a command inside of a command. The
technical HTML term is an "attribute". The paragraph tag has an attribute
called style, and this contains some CSS.

The CSS is formed using *Property: value;*

The property could be the font-size, the color, the border etc, and the
value is the value which you wish this property to assume. The property is
separated from the value by a colon, and a semi-colon is used to show that
the css property is complete.

I've used percentages to define my font sizes. Obviously you could use
values larger or smaller than 100% to enlarge or reduce the size, but if
you're feeling adventurous there are lots of different ways you can control
the size:

   - Pixels: e.g. 14px; sets an exact value.
   - Points: e.g. 14pt; usually used in print stylesheets (more on these
   later).
   - Em: e.g. 1.2em; something to do with the font-size, but it works.
   Mostly.
   - Ex; e.g. 0.8ex; something to do with the 'x-height', whatever that may
   be.
   - Named sizes: e.g. xx-small / x-small / small / medium / large /
   x-large / xx-large

There is no right or wrong answer as to which one is best, so do some
experimenting and see what you like best. The only thing to be aware of is
that pixel values (like 14px) aren't adjustable in Internet Explorer for
people with poor eyesight who like their text larger. For this reason
percentages and 'em's might be better for accessibility reasons.

There are lots of things you might like to do with CSS, one of which is the
font color. Here's an example with two CSS styles applied to it:

If you only wanted to apply the change of font size to a single word or
phrase you could put the style attribute into a strong or em tag:

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Web Minister <
webminister at hellsgate.ansteorra.org> wrote:

> The Site for Yule revel is now online.
>
> http://hellsgate.ansteorra.org/yule/yule.htm
>
> --