ANSTHRLD - submissions rates by branches

Ron Knight rknight at kumc.edu
Mon Apr 13 11:57:29 PDT 1998

Greetings from Modar!

Maridonna wrote:

>I never got around to this myself, but the local heralds
>could write an article about basic heraldry for their group
>newletter. Spread this info out through several months
>beacuse there is a lot to learn. A brief history about it,
>what is good heraldry, types of banners, pennons, etc.

This is a great idea.  I recently did a set of 4 articles that
several newsletters in the kingdom are running. They are
on Creating a Persona/Choosing a Name; Creating a Device;
Duties of a Local Herald; and The Heraldic Submission Process.
If you do articles to print, the chroniclers love it and the populace
loves it.

>The herald could teach or get an experienced herald to
>teach an A&S class on heraldry. Then later another A&S
>class could be banner making by those who have submitted
>and have had their devices accepted.

More great ideas, Maridonna!  I love to do one on Heraldic Display.  Give
people ideas of what to do with their device.

>Someone on SCAHRLDS (was that you Modar?) has a
>posterboard of all the member's devices or arms displayed.

I don't know if I mentioned it on  SCAHRLDS or not, but I do have a
notebook of people's devices drawn up and colored.  I also have started
a series of photo-albums (got 2 and ready for a 3rd) of nothing but pictures
of items with heraldic display (banners, tents, shields, surcoats, boxes, etc).

These go with me to events where they are set out for viewing (and are
real useful at consulting tables) to give people ideas what they can do
with their device once it's registered.

One of our groups here in Calontir has a Roll of Arms painted up on
6' X 3' (I believe this the size) panels of cloth that they display on frames
at events.  The devices are about 5-6" in size.  They're on their 5th
panel.  I hope to do one of these for my group, when time allows.  I
recommend presenting them chronologically by date the device was
registered (in case of same date, then alphabetize), then you can just
keep adding them as more are registered.

>I don't think heralds should drum up business per se,
>but the folks need to know about heraldry.

I kinda disagree.  I think we should promote business.  Not
brow-beat people per se.  But lead by example, offer services,
teach classes, overwhelm them with information, and make them
want to have devices.

>There could be a few budding heralds out there
>that just don't realize it yet.

Very true.

>Just my opinions.

Some good ones in my mind.