ANSTHRLD - name books

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sat Apr 25 10:36:00 PDT 1998

> Edric Lorry said:

Welcome!  Where are you from?  If you're near Austin, can we
invegle you to come over for commentary nights?  If you're
near Dallas, I'll ask Da'ud to do the invegling.  Seriously,
being around experienced heralds is the funnest and easiest
way to learn.

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, John Ruble <jruble at urocor.com> wrote:
> But I suggest you put some of your energy into "helping"
> your local herald rather than setting up against him or
> her.  Maybe apply to be their deputy.

Excellent advice!

> it sounds like your herald has some things to learn.

There is the unfortunate phenomenon of "Corpora herald" or
"Warmbody Pursuivant": "Corpora says the branch needs a
herald.  I gotta fill the position.  Doesn't mean I have to
like it, or do anything.".  I don't blame such people; I
think the herald requirement stinks.

It's not clear whether this local is a Corpora herald, and I
*CERTAINLY* would not go up and ask "So, do you only have
the post because they needed someone?"!

> Check out the Administrative Handbook of the College of
> Arms for a list of good and "bad" books.

I wish people wouldn't say that -- mostly because it hits
one of my wishes, to put more common but less good sources
in Appendix H.

APPENDIX E is "Bibliography of Standard References".  If an
onomastic book is in Appendix E, it just means that anyone
or anything having their own entry will be presumed, barring
other evidence, to have a name famous enough to protect from
SCA conflict.

APPENDIX F is "Names Sources to Be Avoided in
Documentation", not "Bibliography of Books That Are Utterly
Worthless".  There are actual uses for Yonge, Hanks and
Hodges, and Kolatch -- for the experienced herald in a few
limited cases.  NOTE: I DO RECOMMEND AVOIDING THE BOOKS ON
THIS LIST.

APPENDIX H is "Name Books That Do Not Require Photocopies to
Laurel", not "Good Name Books".  In particular, something
appearing in one of those books is not deemed ipso facto
true and right.  For example, Searle, _Onomasticon
Anglo-Saxonicum_, normalizes every name to a particular
region and time (Wessex, 11th Century?), and inteprets every
possible name as Anglo-Saxon (even if there's no evidence of
English use and it's purely Continental German).  Dauzat and
Fucilla usually don't have dates.

> Also, Amazon.Com has online book ordering.

A herald here, Mari, says she got a surprising number of
books from Barnes and Nobles.  As a former Ann Arborite, I
will lobby for Borders instead, or your local independent
bookstore.

Daniel de Lincolino
- --
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com