ANSTHRLD - Anst Heralds List (fwd)

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Tue Jul 7 22:59:32 PDT 1998

Daniel "why are all the new heralds bothering me" de Lincolnwrote:

> [I pointed him at commentary groups, the Laurel web pages,
> the S. Gabriel pages off of the Laurel web site, and Da'ud's
> Blazon 101.]
> and then included a query from Anton about learning all about heraldry.

I asked Daniel this very question a few weeks ago and got some very
helpful replies.  Suggestions included making flashcards, reading
Fox-Davies, reading the lists, etc. I also began corresponding with some
other beginner heralds to try double checking each other.  What I have
done, along with significant lurking and harassing good-natured heralds
(I know, it's not commonly known there is such a thing) is gotten my
hands on various heraldry books and tried sketching (if you can call it
that) emblazons from blazons where there was a figure/picture attached
and then checking it and reversing the process by blazoning the
pictures.

As for the conflict rules, thanks to Daniel's aggravatingly correct
example of downloading the exact language of the rule when a question
arises, I've finally gotten it through my skull that I need to check the
rules and parse them when I've got a question.  If I go back to the
exact wording, usually I can get it right.  If I try to go by the
shorthand rules I've read or heard here or there, I get in trouble.

Tuppence from another novice--

AElfwyn