ANSTHRLD - Anst Heralds List (fwd)

S Friedemann RandomSF at wctc.net
Wed Jul 8 19:33:06 PDT 1998

>WHen I wrote "Talan Gwynek!", however, it was a suffix, and in
>fact it WAS used as a punctuation mark, to mark an interjection.
>I have boundless admiration for Talan's erudition on names
>and armory, and for the reams of commentary he helps us with.
>
>(I don't actually know if you can have an exclamation in the
>middle of a sentence according to formal prescriptive grammar.
>Hey!  I'm making it up as I go along.)

It's not exactly right for formal grammar, but it's something that I use
quite often in my writing.  However, if you use an exclamation point in the
middle of a sentence, the next word should not be capitalized (unless
normally capitalized); here, the e.p. does not signify the end of a
sentence, it signifies an interjection.  For a good example, read the New
Testament, specifically the King James version of the birth of Jesus.  "Lo!
and an Angel of the Lord. . ." (Not a direct quote, but a reasonable
example.)  They use the technique fairly often.

Oh, wait.  This is a heraldry list, not a grammar list.  Sorry.  ;-[)

>Daniel "All hail the Name Balrog of the East!" de Lincolia

Watch it, Daniel, you'll get yourself into trouble again!

Aryanhwy, another herald junkie who really shouldn't be on this list, but
can't seem to stay away from other kingdom's heraldic lists. . .