ANSTHRLD - Habemus formas!

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jul 21 22:13:49 PDT 1998

White smoke is rising from Austin!

Actually, it's steam from the ears of Gwenllian, having suffered
through my dithering of "what do you think of *this* wording for the
paragraph?", "should I, can I make the check boxes two point sizes
smaller?", "do I put the Branch Name line *above* the Action Type, or
below?", "what do you think of *this* draft?", "can you use 100 blank
sheets of leftover yellow paper?  How about 200 more?", ...

But my obsession and late nights of a week or so are over!  We had an
envelope stuffing party, I took the envelopes to the main Austin post
office, and the masters for the new forms are in the mail!  Mailed to
the local herald, or to the local seneschal if we had no local's name.
There's a cover letter.  Read.  Enjoy.  Copy.  Burn old forms.
Especially the lozenge-shaped-shield forms.

Asterisk has extra sets of masters.  If you need some for some odd
reason, please e-mail her at werisman at mail.utexas.edu to make
arrangements.  (Oh, sent a set to Obelisk, too.  Drat, forgot Serena.
AND LAUREL!  *Wail!*)

If you have any comments about the forms or the instructions for the
same, please tell me.  We won't put out a revision unless they're
somewhat unusable, but I'll note comments for future reference.  This
is labelled "v1.0, 20 July 1998 (A.S. xxxiij), Daniel me fecit".
(Ha ha -- I'm immortalized in print!)

I need to write some HTML for a forms web page at
http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry -- hope to have that done this week.
They'll be in MicroSod Word 7.0, RTF, and Adobe PDF.  The instructions
will be in ASCII as well.  HOWEVER, those are backups, really.  People
still have to submit thru their local.  They might as well get the
forms from the local, and they all can discuss the submission.

Daniel the Gibbering Giddy Herald -- quite the non-period
construction, but tonight Daniel just doesn't care!

Road maps to the punch lines:

Habemus formas: from the Latin "Habemus papum", I think, "we have a
    Pope", traditional declaration from the balcony when a Pope is
    elected.  Forma, -ae, with first declension accusative plural.
White smoke: the ballots of the College of Cardinals are burned with
    wet or dry straw added as a signal to watchers.  White smoke means
    a Pope has been elected.
Gwenllian: Wendy.  Asterisk Herald.
Steam: not really.  Wendy was actually quite patient and helpful.
"...": All examples are real as far as I remember.
Late nights: Up past 2 AM the last three or four nights.  Not *that*
    unusual, mind you.

- --
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.