ANSTHRLD - Achievement levels -Reply

John Ruble ulf at urocor.com
Wed Jun 3 07:10:21 PDT 1998

On Tuesday, June 02, 1998 9:44 PM, Russell Rischard
[SMTP:rischard at swbell.net] wrote:
> Since these are the colors of the field in his arms, I feel that there
> is good
> precedence that they are of sufficent contrast,
>
> umm
>
> Daniel de Omaha, I mean Lincoln.  Yeah that's it.

Nice try, Your Majesty.

I know your arms.  But you have a simple line of division between the
vert and the purpure, which means anything goes.  Livery is a complex
line of division of multiple parts, because of all the loopy frou-frou.
 Though, to be honest, we are not judging Ansteorran Achievements by the
same standards as we judge Armory, and thus we can get away with a few
things.  I'd just like to define what those things are.

Still, the Rules for Submission should at least be examined. Let us
consult the book of Armaments, part 8. Brother Maynard? ......

Part VIII - Compatible Armorial Style
2. Armorial Contrast - All armory must have sufficient contrast to allow
each element of the design to be clearly identifiable at a distance. Each
tincture used in Society armory may be depicted in a variety of shades.
Therefore, contrast is not determined by the lightness or darkness of the
tinctures on the submitted emblazon, but by the traditional heraldic
categorization of tinctures as colors and metals. The colors are azure,
gules, purpure, sable, and vert (blue, red, purple, black, and
green).....
.....b.Contrast Requirements -
iii. Elements evenly divided into two parts, per saltire, or quarterly
may use any two tinctures or furs. For example, a field quarterly could
be composed of azure and gules, argent and Or, Or and ermine, or vert and
vairy gules and argent.
(This is why your Per Bend Purpure and Vert, etc... passed)
iv. Elements evenly divided into multiple parts of two different
tinctures must have good contrast between their parts. For example,
checky argent and gules is acceptable, but checky azure and gules is not.
And this why two-color livery would fail, on Arms.
Livery that was black and blue might be appropriate for some of us
(especially after His Majesty gets hold of me), but it would obviously
not be "of sufficient contrast".  I thought a precedent had been set by
Laurel some time ago about two-color fields and complex lines of division
on Arms, and that it clearly stated which tinctures had sufficient
contrast in that situation.  I was hoping to use it as a guideline for
Achievement livery.

Does anyone know where I can look for such a precedent? Online preferred?
 I'd like to formalize the rules for achievement submission before HM
submits his.

Ulf, Stellar Scroll
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2883/heraldry.html