ANSTHRLD - Re: [SCAHRLDS] PENANCE

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Mar 25 21:55:54 PST 1998

SCA Heralds, sorry about the long rambling on an in-joke ...

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, James of the Lake wrote:
> Saith Gawain of Miskbridge:
> > [about Blackfox's Heraldic Cheerleaders cartoon]
> >        (I know who the camel, the dog, and the lamb are,
> >but I never did find out who the elephant and the small
> >animal with the glasses and the tall hat represented.)
>
> elephant = Bambi?  glasses + tall hat = Bruce?
> (who are the dog and the lamb?)
>
> who meant to look up the relevant Proceeding, but was glad
> you saved me the trouble ;-)

1993 KWHS Proceedings, page I - 71-2.

The camel is clearly Da'ud ibn Auda; I've seen other
Blackfox cartoons with that.  I think I've only seen a
picture of Hossein al Qomi, but I think he might be the
elephant.  I then suspect that they're all Ansteorran
heralds, Master William Blackfox being a denizen.  The king
is wearing a crown with large black stars ...

Tadhg Liath was the dog, perhaps?  The dog is wearing the
Lonesteorran kingdom arms quartered with the crossed
trumpets, and Tadhg took over as Star in 1990, the year of
the strip.  But the clothing doesn't look right for him.
Adelicia Gilwell, former Star, as the lamb?  But Blackfox
used another animal for her in other drawings, I think.

The little critter with the tall hat appears to be a mole,
or perhaps a hampster.  I have dim memories of a TV cartoon
with a mole like that.

I wonder who the king is (the one who ordered the
cheerleaders), the one depicted as a grinning tiger.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.