ANSTHRLD - ILoAR 0398

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu May 14 09:25:06 PDT 1998

Larkin wrote:
>Ah, yes  #237 in the Pictorial Dictionary. Now I think I understand. If
>Hugh had drawn a "thin line" square around each board it would then have
>no longer been "thin line heraldry."

No and yes.  If he had drawn thin lines as a square, it would
- -- or, rather, might -- be considered "thin line".  More likely,
Asterisk would have bulked them up.  At that point, it would
be argent delfs on an argent field, and returned for metal on
metal.

Gwenllian wrote:
] Actually, the problem is that Hugh's game boards are gules lines with
] nothing between them and the argent field. To depict a game board gules, he
] needs to draw gules squares with sable or argent markings.

I'm not sure about sable markings on a gules square.  Yes,
when we get colored charges (a lion, say) the internal details
tend to be sable.  However, the charge ought to be recognizable
without them, I'd say, which means the *outline* should be
distinctive.  The only thing that distinguishes a nine-man
Morris board from a delf are those lines.  (Complicated,
of course, by the fact that of all the colors gules has the
best contrast.)  I'd look at the previous registration
to see if the markings and the board were of different
tincture classes.  I'd also advise the client to use sable
markings on a metal delf, and hence a color field.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.