ANSTHRLD - Vashti of the Flaming Tresses

P. Crandall Polk pcrandal at flash.net
Thu Nov 26 06:04:12 PST 1998

          An Apology in Sonnet Form

                By:  Vashti of the Flaming Tresses
                     Feb. 25 1988

         Forgive me that this missive comes so late -
         At least a month or two, I must confess.
         I meant to write! - It always seems my fate
         To hurry through this world with little rest.
         It sometimes seems there is scant time to spend
         In quiet things, good talk, or even sleep,
         Or correspondence with my dearest friends.
         "Too much to do", I sigh, and up I leap
         To work and fence, rehearse new scenes and pack;
         A doublet must be stitched; a poem learned;
         Then journey to the compass points and back;
         And then a scroll to pen; my upkeep earn!
         And yet to all the Chaos, there is Reason.
         And Quiet Times will follow in their Season.

Valeria said it better than most.

                Vashti's Song

                By: Valeria Richila Navarro

         CHORUS- After every verse
           Whirl away, Whirl away, Whirl away, child
           Dance as your soul professes.
           Whirling and whirling as fast as you can,
           Like Vashti of the Flaming Tresses.

         When she dances by the men in the room
         Watch with an eye that caresses.
         Wishing she'd grant them a favor or boon
         She's Vashti of the Flaming Tresses.

         As a dancer she's known throughout the land
         And to such a title confesses.
         But limit her not to a single task.
         Not Vashti of the Flaming Tresses.

         Studying rapier with Don Galen now
         Fighting with the fire she possesses.
         Slowly her stature as fighter shall grow.
         She's Vashti of the Flaming Tresses.

         Now I must admit as she dances by
         Sometimes envy my soul possesses.
         And I would give anything for just one hour
         To be Vashti of the Flaming Tresses.

         FINAL CHORUS - after regular chorus
           Whirl away, Whirl away, Whirl away, child
           Dance as your soul professes.
           But I would give anything just for one hour.
           To be Vashti of the Flaming Tresses.