ANSTHRLD - Craftmarks

Patrick J. Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Wed Nov 4 10:16:12 PST 1998

At 09:57 AM 11/4/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Actually, I inherited the task.  Over the years, Star Signet and various
>Laurels had tried to get something like this going.  When I was trying to
>recover the all the lost achievements registered in the kingdom, I ran
>across this list of craftmarks.  Star Signet at the time said "This looks
>like the same kind of thing as the achievements.  You be in charge of it
>now."  This is called "volunteering"...

I fully understand the concept  :)  I have been on the receiving end on
occasion myself.  It's so nice to be loved  :P

>What I would like to do with it is provide a registry of craftmarks from
>this kingdom to any interested parties.  It would be nice to get a copy to
>all the A&S ministers and all the heralds, but that is a prohibitively large
>mailing, and the moment I mailed it out it would be out of date. So I will
>most likely put it on the web page, and provide copies of the current list
>to Star, Star Signet, and the regional heralds with my next achievement
>update.

I will definately try to promote it with the artisans that I know.  It's
not just a "cool idea" but extremely medieval  (as a closet authenticity
maven....shhhh--don't tell anyone) I love the idea.

>Guilds are welcome to register.  One guild, Spanghollow Pottery, has theirs
>on it already.  And we had one case about a year ago where I was able to
>identify the crafter of an item in our lost and found from this list, which
>could help in returning to the rightful owner.
>
>Ulfie

That also brings up a another very good point.  If artists used maker's
marks, you could tell who made a particular piece at a glance.  This would
be helpfull with lost and found as most artisans remember most of their
pieces (unless they are incredibly prolific).  It would also be nice for a
Crown, Landed Nobility, or Peer to be able to see something that they
really like and find out who made it without causing undo attention  (this
would come in handy at the super secret Peer meetings where we talks about
everyone all the time  :)   ).

I hope it catches hold. If it does, you may need a deputy to assist you
<<<<ack.....more bureaucracy!>>>

Pet. d' Cat.