ANSTHRLD - Craftmarks

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Thu Nov 5 18:50:50 PST 1998

Do I take the exchange between Ulf & Petruccio to mean that at some
point there *was* a registry of such things?  My understanding is that
they were, for lack of any other term(s), runic-ish/ trademarkish/
brand-ish--you know, combinations of letters/animals/symbols.  But the
practice of registering these makers marks is no longer in force?

How this all came up was in the context of preheraldic/nonheraldic
cultures and appropriate insignia.  I'd done my typical spiel about "you
can use it and not register it if it's not typical heraldry," and got
the "but I *wanna* register it" response.  So I was talking out loud to
someone about the conflict among encouraging accurate persona
recreation, enforcing the rules and encouraging registration, and she
suggested that the craftmark/maker's marks registration might be a way
to work with folks who want some validation through registration of an
insignia that reflects their preheraldic persona.  But without knowing
the parameters of the registration, or if it is even still done, I
wouldn't even begin to suggest it.

AElfwyn