ANSTHRLD - Craftmarks

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri Nov 6 07:27:25 PST 1998

And AElfwyn spake:
> Do I take the exchange between Ulf & Petruccio to mean that at some
> point there *was* a registry of such things?  My understanding is that
> they were, for lack of any other term(s), runic-ish/ trademarkish/
> brand-ish--you know, combinations of letters/animals/symbols.  But the
> practice of registering these makers marks is no longer in force?

Yes, this kingdom has a registry of such things.  It started with artists
wanting to do something very period: protect their craft.  In period, guilds
and such would have makers' marks and stamps.  The guilds would run
competition out of town, or pressure people into buy only things with *
their * mark on it.  During research into heraldry, you've probably run
across some of these marks.  I've also found registries of potter's marks
that take up volumes.  In period, the guilds would have the law on their
side.  In the SCA, they turned to the heralds...

In our group, the idea is simply to have a Official Record that your mark.
At some point, this list will get distributed again, hopefully to a larger
audience, and your craft mark becomes known around the kingdom.  Mine is
even in there.  I chose the runic word ULF because that is how I sign all my
work.  Many of the entries, though, are stylized initials, with some
geometric figures and a few stylized animals.  Take a quick look in the
library for potters' marks and see some examples.

> suggested that the craftmark/maker's marks registration might be a way
> to work with folks who want some validation through registration of an
> insignia that reflects their preheraldic persona.  But without knowing
> the parameters of the registration, or if it is even still done, I
> wouldn't even begin to suggest it.

The idea is that this is your Official Signature.  If they just want to put
pretty knotwork on all their stuff, tell them to just put pretty knotwork on
all their stuff and not waste my time trying to register bands of Bains.
If, instead, they always sign their work with a three pointed-lobed knot,
well, that's a different matter.  Have them send it in if they feel it needs
to be registered.  But remember, this is not a conflict checking thing.  It
is for recognition purposes only.

By the way, it is up to 37.  Larkin sent in his.

Ulf Gunnarsson,
Stellar Scroll