ANSTHRLD - Craftmarks

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Nov 3 18:37:29 PST 1998

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Patrick J. Cuccurello wrote:
> In the very very early days of the Society artisans were allowed to
> register makers marks.  Mistress Cherie Rhuad MhicRaith of Locksley
> has one.

I really don't know much of anything about "maker's marks" -- were
they like hausmarken, stylized geometrical patterns?

What is the blazon / description of her design?  If

    Cherie Ruadh MhicRath of Locksley|8205A|s|(Tinctureless) A cat's
    eyes, nose and whiskers.

it's tinctureless armory, which was allowed for registration for the
general public for a while.  Some are in the on-line O&A as "|s|",
meaning "seal", and some as "|b|", meaning "badge".  (The LoAR isn't
on-line, so I can't see any details Laurel might have mentioned.)
Such armory could be used to identify an artisan or merchant, but so
could badges or even arms.

> I believe the practice was discontinued when the Society started
> growing so much and the rules were more or less codified.

Was it codification of the rules that caused it, or the realization
that tinctureless armory was blowing huge holes in registration space?

\     /
 \   /
  \ /
   X    , Daniel de Lincolia his mark