ANSTHRLD - Depicting Fur on Ordinaries

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Oct 30 00:09:08 PST 1998

There seems to be a default idea among many in the SCA that charges,
at least, should NOT follow the line of a bend: see how many "on a
bend ... three <something>s palewise" get registered.  (I'm still
cheesed that Laurel registered "three crosses couped palewise" even
after I pointed out it was "three saltorels".)  This is NOT the
heraldic default, in the SCA or out of it, which is why we have to add
the "palewise" part.

I recall Foster's having plenty of examples of vair following the
lines of frets, bends, bordures, et cetera.  I see no reason why we
shouldn't use it in the SCA.  In fact, I'd encourage it, just to help
educate the populace.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;