ANSTHRLD - Hellloooooo. . . . .

Ron Knight RKNIGHT at kumc.edu
Mon Sep 14 12:47:30 PDT 1998

Greetings from Modar!

Wolfger said:

>Also, any suggestions on how to raise heraldic interest? At
>a recent heraldry meeting, I had offered to help people to make
>painted heraldic banners. I supplied paint, brushes and drawing.
>All they needed was fabric and a passed device or badge. I had
>a grand response of NOTHING! Is there anything I could have done
>differently?

Hmmmm.....a couple of questions:

1.  Did no one show up to the meeting, or did no one at the
     meeting want to do a banner?

If the former, perhaps the timing was off.  Try again, I guess.
If the latter, where the people there all heralds (who
might already have heraldic display).  If that's the case
perhaps moving the activity to populace-type meeting
rather than a heraldry meeting would help.  [That's how
I got it going in my group.]

2. How much heraldic display does the group have?

If little to none, I 've discovered the best thing to do make
a ton with my own device, drag it all over and show it off,
then "strong-arm" a friend with a passed device into doing
the same. Before long people start wanting to keep up with
the "Jonses" and will gladly come running to you.  [At least,
I've seen that work for groups here in Calontir.]

3.  Does you local group do short classes at it's meetings?

If so, a simple class on heraldic display with LOTS of visual
aids can inspire people a lot.

4.  Does you group hold heraldic competitions?

I took to asking autocrats of events to have a heraldic display
compeition at events. I supplied the prize and would take care
of getting the judges if they would advertise the competition in
their flyers.  They were delighted to have another activity to list
without any work involved for them.  I would make (or purchase
from a local SCA artisan) a small but nice prize and made a big
show of presenting it to the winner.  Usually in late afternoon
when people were milling around, I'd get the autocrat and the
local herald to "oyez" the crowd around and present the prize
with much gushing over the winner.  It didn't take long before
people were entering left and right.  And as I would "rave" about
the person who made the prize that I purchased (if not of my
own manufacture) that I now have several people willing to
supply me with prizes at cost for materials, or for free.  I am now
expected to sponsor various competions throughout the year,
which I do with much joy.  It averages 4 to 6 a year now.

Just some thought.

Modar