ANSTHRLD - Mullets, mullets everywhere

Wendy Erisman werisman at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 13 10:59:50 PDT 1999

At 09:44 AM 4/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Does a single mullet (5 points) and a single mullet of 8 points, as the
>primary and only charge, have a CD for the difference in the number of
>points?

Yes -- RfS X.4.f says that five is different from eight or more when
counting changes to the number of charges, and we use that rule in counting
points on mullets. There's also a precedent by Bruce Draconarius (9/92,
under "Mullet" in his collected precedents) clarifying this exact point.

>Does a single mullet (5 points) and a 'special' star (Compass Star, Riven
>Star, etc, etc, etc), as the single and only charge, have a CD difference?

Yes -- The precedent of 9/92 cited above refers to another precedent
(12/89) that explicitly grants a CD between a mullet (of five points) and a
compass star. Rivenstars are a type of compass star. Mullets of five or
less points are also considered different from estoiles and suns.

>Does a single mullet (5 points) and a single mullet (5 points) voided, as the
>primary and only charge, have a CD for one being voided and one not?

This one's a bit tougher. By precedent, fimbriating a charge clearly does
not produce a CD (see Bruce's precedents under "Fimbriated and Voided
Charges") So, a mullet argent and a mullet argent fimbriated sable are not
different from each other.

Voiding, however, is more like adding a tertiary charge, and in fact, is
defined as such in Bruce's precedent on what charges can be voided or
fimbriated (11/92). Since adding a tertiary charge gives a CD, it would
seem that a mullet argent should be different from a mullet argent voided
sable (or "on a mullet argent, another sable").

This argument is supported by a precedent by Da'ud ibn Auda (3/94, under
Difference (CD) in the precedents from his second tenure) in which he
compares a cross botonny voided with a cross botonny charged with a rose
and refers to both as having tertiary charges. So, I'd say voiding the
mullet would yield a CD, but I don't have any specific  precedent to back
me up.

						Gwenllian

HL Gwenllian ferch Maredudd, Armillary Herald
Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra