ANSTHRLD - Personal Conflict Check

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Aug 4 11:42:30 PDT 1999

Please turn off MIME and HTML copies of your messages -- please just
send plain text.

> Grilled gules and Or

Not a well-formed blazon fragment.  Grillage is a charge on a field
(like a fret / fretty), so it'd have to be "Gules grillage Or" or "Or
grillage gules".

It has been registered only once, for the arms of Forestgate.  I see
no reason why it would not be registerable

> (Fieldless) A garden rose azure slipped and leaved proper bendwise.

Since garden roses aren't period, can I convince you to go with a
normal heraldic rose?

Alys of the Midnight Rose, "Or, a rose slipped and leaved azure".  1
CD for fieldless.  Garden roses are treated in the SCA as artistic
variants of heraldic roses.  Slipping and leaving is not a CD,
although it is blazonable.  I don't know that "bendwise" would apply
to the rose, and I couldn't tell if a garden rose were rotated anyway.
Conflict.

I'm not sure what Johnathan [sic!] Crusadene Whitewolf's rose looks
like in "Sable, a rose azure imbrued gules".  It has drops of blood
somehow, but it's not clear to me that it's a semy of gouts (which
would be a CD) or just a few drops dangling from petals (which
probably wouldn't be).

> Badge : (Fieldless) A mullet sable.

There is a precedent calling conflict between a four-pointed mullet
and a compass star (because the little points are, well, little)
so this might conflict with the Ansteorran Chronicler's badge,
"(Tinctureless) A mullet of five greater and five lesser points
distilling gouttes". Barn and Kat and the then-chronicler gave
permission for this to be released, but I didn't follow up on it.
It'd open up some heraldic space if it were done.

I don't currently have my mullet-difference research to hand; I'll get
back to y'all on point-counting.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***