ANSTHRLD - "Lioness"

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Thu Aug 5 18:14:46 PDT 1999

(Sorry for the duplication, Tangwystyl, AElfwyn, et al.)

Yes, it's stunt documentation (or stunt shootdown, I suspect).
Yes, I would love a quick turnaround; if, as I suspect, the name is
    utterly unusable, I'd like to stop the write-in campaign ASAP.
Indeed, I'm sorry for asking under such conditions.

This came across the Ansteorran Southern Regional list just now.  The
vote he's referring to is a preference ballot for a southern regional
name, probably to thereby become the frontrunner for a southern
principality name if-and-when.

"James Crouchet" <jtc at io.com> wrote, on southern at Ansteorra.ORG at Thu,
5 Aug 1999 19:40:42 -0500, with subject Late Entry:
> Hello. Don Doré here.
>
> A small group of Southerners, including me, were recently standing
> around complaining that the suggested names for this region were
> bad, twinky, un-period, and generally unacceptable.

(Un-period?!?  Grrrr!  Arrrg!  We cut it off at the 3-out-of-5-star
periodness-rating level.  One name is a period town in Italy!)

> name that really seemed to work. It followed a period naming
> practice,

(which of course he didn't describe)

> it avoided the compound noun twink (like "Lion's Liver"), actually
> means something to the Southern Region AND connects us to Ansteorra.
> It would even serve well as a name for a principality or kingdom,
> should that ever be an issue.  Noble heraldry would be easy to
> design for this name.  What's more, it is short, plain English and
> easily pronounceable.
> In particular, we got Baroness Mari's ok (which is important,
> considering the name).
>
> What is the name? Lioness. Bjornsborg's "Lioness" tourney is past,

That annual tourney is usually spelled "Lyonesse".  It is a
high-persona event.  In it, Lyonesse is said to rise from the sea for
a few days.  The Baroness of Bjornsborg (in the center of the southern
region) is called Lady Lyonesse for the duration and is the hostess.
There is fighting at the barrier, I believe.  I understand that there
are plenty of examples of period people in tourneys pretending to be
knights of the Round Table and other worthies (or Worthies), so this
sounds like a fine period tourney notion to me.  It is pronounced here
as "LEE ahn ess" or "LEE ah ness" -- hard for me to tell.  I assume
they want the English word "Lioness".

So: I gather that Lyonesse is a mythical sunken island somewhere off
Britain, so an attempted registration of Lyonesse would therefore
bounce by Admin Handbook III.A.6, Names of Significant Geographical
Locations from Literary Sources.  Is it at all likely that period
people would have named a real place Lyonesse, Atlantis, or such?
(Any other examples come to mind of lands believed lost by period
people?)

If "Lioness", I have the usual stunt request: can anyone think of a
language + culture + time where that might be a place-name?

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***
    tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com are my work accounts.