ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 19:59:53 PDT 1999

- --- "Timothy A. McDaniel" <tmcd at jump.net> wrote:

> Tadhg won at "Spot the Hidden Assumption".  Mine, in this case, where
> I assumed that "pursuivant" was a job title rather than a state of
> being.

Well, it's not your fault -- we've been using it as if it were both.

> On the other hand, can it be said that the modified titles
> "Pursuivant Extraordinary" and "Pursuivant-at-Large" are job titles?

Say rather "functional positions". "Pursuivant Extraordinary" is a job
type, "Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary" is a job title.

>  This is clearer in the PE case, as "Extraordinary" implies a job
> specifically, one outside the line structure.

Which can have a title or not, depending on how it is handled.

> As for the suggestions relating to "deputy regional herald" et al
> ... Personally, I'd prefer to use a period title in a way close to
> the period meaning, than a modern-looking descriptive title that I
> find boring.

(Me, too, but you see how far that gets.) I wasn't aware that
"Pursuivant at Large" is a period title; on the other hand, Lord Star
has a good point that "Pursuivant Extraordinary" has a lot of
connotative historical baggage in the SCA in general and in Ansteorra
in particular, and it may thereby be tainted for our purposes. (Once we
figure out what those purposes are....)

> Further, a PE/PaL would not be a deputy of any particular
> regional, right?

Dunno. (Who does?) Do PE/PaLs wander the Earth like Kane in "Kung Fu",
doing good, righting wrongs, and expunging ugly armory? Or do they
cover a particular territory's groups-sans-pursuivants?

> We could also revive named titles in abeyance.  We've registered more
> heraldic titles than most kingdoms; we can recycle.  I know Actuarius
> is available; any others?

That's what I would do, but it depends on how Lord Star wants to handle
it. I registered a lot of titles when I was Star for *precisely* that
purpose (among others).

Tadhg, Hanaper