ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Wed Aug 18 14:05:51 PDT 1999

The branch warranting test is for baronial heralds to take, no?  If so,
I'd probably argue that some of the suggestions advanced, while to be
hoped for, may not be possible unless you can ensure an ongoing heraldic
training program in each barony to prepare folks to take over.

In our barony, we've had lots of times where folks have had to simply
take over and exigent circumstances existed where they could not get
with someone in person to make sure they could demonstrate that they
could do things with a book closed or do field heraldry. OJT occurred
after the warranting--I'm an example of that process.  Further, most of
us are more inclined to one area of heraldry over another anyway.

As a result, I strongly advocate emphasis on knowing how to get help,
how to find out how to do things, how to use the forms, how to get
organized, etc. over already having mastered certain aspects, and I
think the old way of open book testing was a good way of demonstrating
that.  Otherwise the learning curve can be too long to fill posts and
submissions and other bits can be left in the vacuum.

AElfwyn