ANSTHRLD - What do we need to know?

Amanda Lewanski editor at texas.net
Wed Aug 18 19:43:34 PDT 1999

Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> Oh, a procedural nit on PE / PaL / Roving Attack Heralds / whatever:
> any existing warrants / designations of such should be explicitly
> voided en masse before the new ones start to be created.  Amra in the
> Steppes has told me that he enjoys having a permanent warrant as PaL /
> PE / I forget what, and other people may have them as well.

Okay, I will jump in with a question. Eons ago, when Aureliane was Star, her
criteria for Pursuivant involved competency in three of four areas of heraldry
(voice, court, "book," or heraldic artistry). There was a written test for PE
(which was then a rank below P), and she did a one-on-one oral exam, if you
will, for the rank of pursuivant.

Okay, she grilled me over a weekend or so sometime in 1986, and told me I'd made
pursuivant (at large). Being Aureliane, she never got around to putting it in
writing, so my letter of rank was signed by Adelicia in 1987.

So my question is, would I have to recertify, as it were, to claim this rank? I
believe that even inactive, I'm still a pursuivant at large. I'm not sure you
can unmake someone once they win to that level. The rank is not a license to
practice which can be revoked; it's a level of knowledge which cannot be
unachieved.

> Hey, I *said* it was a nit!

I know, I know, but now it's crawling on me!

- --Alisandre "daring to disagree with Daniel" Oliphant