ANSTHRLD - Personal Conflict Check

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Aug 4 11:57:20 PDT 1999

I found my notes on mullet differences.  In brief, I think
"multi-pointed" means "more points than usual".

Mullet and estoile-like critters are not substantially different, so
neither X.2 nor X.4.j.ii applies to such differences.

Quick summary of common cases:
   A == standard mullets
   B == standard estoiles
   C == multi-pointed mullets like suns and compass stars
A & B, B & C, and A & C each have CDs from each other.  Step away from
those patterns and the CD tends to shatter.  Cs don't have CDs from
each other.

A summary table from the precedents below [here snipped]:

Mullet of 3 points: illegal
       of 4 points versus caltrop: no CD (identical)
                          compass star: no CD (long rays in same places)
                          mullet of 5 points: no CD
       of 5 points versus estoile: CD
                          sun: CD
                          mullet of 6 points: no CD
                          mullet of 7 points: no CD
                          mullet of 8 points: CD
                          compass star: CD
       spur rowels versus estoiles: CD (pierced mullets)
       multipointed versus sun: no CD
       of 8 points versus sun: no CD
                          mullet of 5 gtr & 5 lsr: no CD (10 pointed mullet)
                          estoile: CD
                          estoile of 7 rays: no CD
       compass star versus sun: no CD ("multi-pointed mullet")
                    versus estoile: CD
Estoile of 5 rays versus estoile of 8 rays: no CD
        of 6 rays versus sun: CD
        of 8 rays versus sun: no CD
        multipointed versus sun: no CD
Comet == estoile with a tail, hence a variant estoile

Since there's no CD for 4 versus 5 points, you hit the dreaded Eleanor
Leonard, "(Tinctureless) A mullet of four points distilling a
goutte.".  1 CD for fieldless, but since hers is tinctureless you
can't get any other tincture CD, and the goutte is not worth a CD.

    Current precedent does not grant a CD for the difference between
    mullets of four points and the default (five-pointed)
    mullet. (Da'ud ibn Auda, LoAR November 1994, p. 12)

On the other hand, one part of the reasoning for not giving a CD
between a compass star and a mullet of four points was that neither is
period, so maybe it would be clear of the Ansteorran chronicler's
badge.

Daniel "catch a falling star" de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***
    tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com are my work accounts.
    tmcd at crl.com is old and will go away.