ANSTHRLD - Re: branch qualifications, heralds errant

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Sat Aug 21 11:25:20 PDT 1999

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Amy & Bill Morris <awmorris at flash.net> wrote:
> Re: looting titles.  they are registered to the branches.

Well, here's a place where rules and perception conflict.  The only
beings that can register new heraldic titles are the Society itself
(for Laurel and Laurel staff) and kingdoms (for everyone else).  [1]
For example, the e-Armorial has

Callisto Pursuivant|8708L|t|Ansteorra, Kingdom of|(re-registered 9211X)
Candelaio Pursuivant|9510X|t|Ansteorra, Kingdom of|
Oakenwald Pursuivant|8104L|t|Ansteorra, Kingdom of|(re-registered 9211X)
Nautilus Pursuivant|9009X|t|Ansteorra, Kingdom of|(re-registered 9211X)
Nordsteorra Herald|9201X|t|Ansteorra, Kingdom of|

et cetera.  The fourth field holds the owner name. [2]

I suspect that substituting baronial order titles for baronial
heralds' titles would cause less fuss [3], heraldic title fu being of
less general interest.  I don't know, however, and I don't think we
ought to try and find out.

[1] I was careful to say "new heraldic titles".  A recent change was
to allow heraldic titles to be registered to people, formalizing the
previous practice where titles were registered for the exclusive use
of the person.  The process is that either Laurel or a kingdom has to
register the title, and then transfer it.  As with any transfer, it
has to go on an LoI, with letters from the donor giving the title and
a letter from the donee accepting it, and if one requirement is missed
the transfer fails.  (E.g. 12/94 LoAR:

  East, Kingdom of the.  Transfer of heraldic titles to the Kingdom of
     Drachenwald.
         Albion Herald
         Aurochs Pursuivant
         Broken Wain Herald
         Edelweiss Herald
         Post Horn Pursuivant
         Schwarzdrachen Herald
     As no letter accepting the transfer of these titles has been
     received from Drachenwald, we are unable to make such transfer.
)

[2] In a similar disconnect between popular perception and rules, I
think most people would be surprised to learn that SCA Inc. could by
law suck dry their local branch treasury, and I hope they would be
upset, viewing that as the local branch's money.  It is not
sufficiently appreciated that, because there is one corporation and
all bank accounts are "SCA Inc.--<branch or purpose>", SCA
Inc. actually owns all the money in branch bank accounts.  (This
becomes clearer with financial reports -- it's why local treasurers
have to be prompt about their financial reports, because kingdoms have
to add up all the figures for *their* reports, which the SCA
Inc. Treasurer has to add up to do the corporate tax return!)

[3] "We've replaced their baronial pursuivant's title with new Folger
Pursuivant.  Let's see if they notice!"

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                   *** NEW HOME E-MAIL ADDRESS ***