ANSTHRLD - Re: heralds V1 #249

Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 14:31:03 PDT 1999

- --- "Timothy A. McDaniel" <tmcd at jump.net> wrote:

> I got the impression somewhere that period heraldic titles were
> not associated with any particular job, and neither are they in
> modern times.  This is just a dim impression; does anyone have data?

Certainly they weren't as closely bound to specific functions as they
are in the SCA, but they still had regular duties. There isn't a lot of
data on the heraldic establishments of countries outside of the British
Isles, that I've seen, but it seems plain that titled officers of arms
served the nobles from whom they received their offices, and did the
sort of things that officers of arms do. Bear in mind that we do orders
of magnitude more registrations and tourneys than they did (which is
why they had the time to do more in each case than we can do).

Tadhg, Hanaper

===
Tiomoid M. of Angle  JD MBA
No, I do not suffer fools gladly.