ANSTHRLD - ILoAR 11/98

Wendy Erisman werisman at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 18 11:54:25 PST 1999

Herewith are the decisions for ILoI 1198 as determined at the College of
Heralds meeting held in Steppes on January 9, 1999:

1) Alexander Peregrine
	Device – forwarded to Laurel as submitted.

2) Beorhtlic Folcwineson
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as "Beorhtlic Folcwines sunu." We have adjusted
the grammar of the patronymic to conform to Old English practice, but we
have left any decision about the validity of the given name as an OE
adjectival name to Laurel
Device – forwarded to Laurel with the arms blazoned as "sustaining" the
hammers.

3) Brian Aaron Cameron
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as submitted
	Device – forwarded to Laurel with the arrows blazoned as "inverted." The
submittor should be instructed to draw the arrow and the rayons larger in
the future and to use fewer ermine spots.

4) Ceinwen ferch Rhuel
	Device – forwarded to Laurel with the swans blazoned as "naiant."

5) Eleanor d’Eresby
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as submitted
		Device – returned for a number of significant style problems. Since the
SCA does not recognize a per base field division, we must blazon this
device as "Sable, a base wavy argent, overall a dolphin haurient and on a
bordure seven gouttes, all counterchanged." It then violates the layer
limit  found in RfS VIII.1.c.ii which states that "all charges should be
placed directly on the field or entirely on other charges that lie on the
field. The two bottom gouttes lie on top of both the bordure and the base.
It also violates a Laurel precedent from 3/943 which says, "No
documentation has been found for counterchanging a bordure over an
ordinary.  That… is sufficient grounds for return." Finally, the
counterchanging of every part of the device, particularly with a complex
line of division, would seem to constitute excessive counterchanging which
reduces identifiability and is  not acceptable style under RfS VIII. 3.
While changing the field division to per fess would remove the first two
problems, it would not reduce the College’s concerns about the excessive
counterchanging.

6) Emily Penrose Blackwell
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as "Emilie Penrose Blackwell." We have changed
the spelling of the given name to the French form which seems the closest
documented form to what the submittor actually wants.

7) Fergus Stout
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as submitted.

8) Fredamund von Kostenz
	Name – forwarded to Laurel with the given name changed to "Fridemunt."
With the submittor’s permission, we have changed the spelling of the given
name to match that of the byname.
	Device – forwarded to Laurel as submitted
	Badge – returned for conflict with the Emperor of Japan, "Dark, a
sixteen-petalled chrysanthemum light." Since Japanese mon are treated as
tinctureless for SCA purposes, there is only the one CD for fieldlessness.

9) Gerrold von Drachenhöhle
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as "Gerold von Drachenhöhle." We have changed
the spelling of the given name to match the documented form.
	Device – forwarded to Laurel with the blazon changed to "Per bend azure
and sable, a dragon segreant Or and a wolf rampant contourné argent."

10) Hellen Bales MacQueene
	Name – returned for problems with the surname "MacQueene." In an LoAR from
8/92, Bruce Draconarius of Mistholme writes, "As for the byname, perhaps
I'm paranoid, but MacQueen seems to fall into the same category as
FitzEmpress:  doubtless a documented name, but one that claims royal rank
to the average yeoman-on-the-road." In that instance, Laurel changed the
spelling of the name to its Gaelic variant. That change is not an option
with an English given name, however, so we believe that this name is not
registerable. In addition, the submittor allows no major changes so we
cannot drop the problematic element.
	Device – returned for violating RfS XI.3 which states that "divisions
commonly used for marshalling, such as quarterly or per pale, may only be
used in contexts that ensure marshalling is not suggested." The rules note
that devices with such divisions must use identical charges over the entire
field, complex lines of division, or charges overlying the line of division.

11) Johann von Sternberg
Device  – forwarded to Laurel with the compass stars blazoned as "elongated
palewise." The submittor should be instructed to draw the stars larger in
the future.

12) Katarzyna Szarooka
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as "Katarzyna Szare Oczy." We have substituted
a period version of the byname as suggested by Talan Gwynek.
	Device – forwarded to Laurel as submitted. While the arrangement of
charges is unusual, we believe it to be only one weirdness and respect the
submittor’s attempt to produce Polish-looking armory using Western European
charges.  In addition, the arrangement of charges is quite similar to those
in the registered arms of the submittor’s mundane father, Jan w Orzeldom,
"Per pale gules and argent, in pale a chevronel couped per pale and two
crosses patty counterchanged."

13) Krzysztof Kopernik
	Name – forwarded to Laurel as submitted.

14) Lisette de Meyners
	Device – forwarded to Laurel with the blazon changed to "Argent, in fess
two annulets interlaced and on a chief gules a quill-pen bendwise sinister
argent."

15) Madeleine Blanchandine de la Montaigne
	Name – returned for lack of documentation showing that the given name
"Blanchandine" was used outside of the romances. Since the submittor
requested no major changes, we could not drop the problematic element nor
substitute a documented form such as "Blanche."

16) Marcus Blackwell
Name – forwarded to Laurel as submitted.

17) Morgan MacAlpin
Name – forwarded to Laurel as submitted.

18) Niklas Vasilevich
Name – forwarded to Laurel as submitted.
	Device – forwarded to Laurel as submitted. Although we were concerned
about the potential conflict noted by the Steppes, we feel that it is a
judgment call for Laurel.

19) Randall Hawkwood
	Badge – returned for conflict with William of Sark, "Sable, a flame
proper," with only the CD for fieldlessness. Laurel last month returned the
very  similar badge of Loch Ruadh for conflict with William’s device, and
we believe that this badge will have the same problem.

20) Stella Silvana
	Badge – returned for conflict with Hieronymus Dernoma, "Gyronny argent and
sable, an estoile of seven points argent fimbriated sable" with only one CD
for fieldlessness. An 11/93 precedent states that no difference is granted
for the fimbriation.

21) Suzanne de la Ferté
	Device – forwarded to Laurel as submitted.

22) William Killian
	Device – returned for conflict with Eleanor Leonard, "(Tinctureless) A
mullet of four points distilling a goutte," with only the CD for fielded
versus fieldless armory and no CD for the change of position versus a
fieldless badge.  This device also conflicts with Somalia, "Azure, a mullet
argent" with only one CD for the unforced change of position of the primary
charge.

23) Faoiltigearna MacEanruig (pended last month)
	Name – unpended and forwarded to Laurel with the given name corrected to
"Faoiltighearna." The submittor has provided evidence that she is the legal
wife of Gerard MacEanruig and wishes to invoke the grandfather clause to
register his surname. While we are unsure as to whether or not this is a
valid use of the grandfather clause, we are following the submittor’s
wishes and turning the matter over to Laurel.
	Device – unpended and forwarded to Laurel with the blazon changed to
"Azure, on a plate a wolf’s face sable, a bordure rayonny argent."

HL Gwenllian ferch Maredudd
Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra
werisman at mail.utexas.edu