ANSTHRLD - Documentation Assistance

Joe Wolf wolfj at bisys.com
Fri Jan 29 08:39:28 PST 1999

Thanks for the help... (sigh)  Back to the books.   [Grin!]

>>> <Aelfuyn at aol.com> 01/29 10:20 AM >>>
Greetings, Manfred!

<< Would somone who has access to an OED please email me the entry information
for "Obstreperous?" >>

I happen to have mine out, working on a household name and getting nowhere.

 Obstreperous: 1. characterized by great noise or outcry, esp. in opposition;
clamorous, noisy; vociferous.  [earliest entry] 1600..proceed'st thou still
with thy ostreperous noise

 2. resisting control, management, advice, etc., in a noisy manner; turbulent
or unrulyin behavior, esp. in resistance. [earliest entry] 1727

So you've got a problem with the dates.

<< I'm assuming the OED is an acceptable source for a descriptive component of
a name? >>

I think it depends.  Not all adjectives were used in names, so if this is for
"Joe the Obstreperous," I think you'd have to show that the adjective (or a
similar one) was actually used in names during the period. Now if it's a
household name, I think OED documentation is more likely to be accepted as
documentation, though you still need to follow the pattern found in the
rules...ummm...(riffle, riffle):

III.2.b.iv.Household Names - Household names must follow the patterns of
period names of organized groups of people. Possible models include Scottish
clans (Clan Stewart), ruling dynasties (House of Anjou), professional guilds
(Baker's Guild of Augsburg, Worshipful Company of Coopers), military units
(The White Company), and inns (House of the White Hart).

Even if "obstreperous" were in period, I'm not sure it fits the type of
concrete adjectives for the inn model, which was what I had in mind.

Hope that helps,

AElfwyn