ANSTHRLD - Compass Star

Amy & Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Thu Jul 29 20:05:45 PDT 1999

I argued against it in the past, however I can summarize the
arguments.  The CHARGE has been ruled 'compatible with period
practice'.  The WORDS 'compass star' are the way the College of Arms has
chosen to refer to that charge, since we don't have a period term for
the charge.

   I should state that I am not opposed to passing charges that are
compatible with period practice, I opposed the registration on the
ground that a compass star is within artistic interpretation of a mullet
of eight points, since period mullets were sometimes drawn with points
of different sizes.

  What signs or symbols were used to indicate North on a period map??
The North Wind?? The word North??  Did maps have to have an indicator
for North??