ANSTHRLD - Question of Display

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jul 4 16:45:21 PDT 1999

> Since kingdom arms are only displayed when the crown is present, and
> baronial arms similarly, what is the usage for the display of shire or
> Canton arms (they having no titular head)? When any member of the populace
> is there on shire/canton business, or as one lady reported she was told,
> only when the seneschal is present? in person or via deputy on official
> business as mentioned previously)?

Well, we in An Tir usually consider that when someone is doing shire
business, or when the shire is represented by its populace (Crown events,
etc.), the shire arms are displayed.  As the Kingdom arms say "Their
Majesties are HERE!", a shire's arms say that "The Shire of Foo is HERE!".
We send ours to Crown events where shire members will be present and
representative of the shire (be it in meetings or just in attendence for
the Crown, whatever).
Of course, the Seneschal has physical posession of the banner...

- - Teceangl
- --
Part of your problem is that you are combining unrelated concepts:  visual
conflict and everything else.       - Rolland Kerr