ANSTHRLD - [ Help on a name, please]]

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Mon Mar 8 08:33:24 PST 1999

Curstaidh asked several name related questions.  I've answered what I could
with the books I happen to have at work.  If anyone could help me fill in
the holes, that would be great.  I won't be able to go home and look these
up for a bit since I'm headed to Gulf Wars in the morning.

>Out of curiosity, are either of these two names period:  Danielle or Nicole?
>Period or country not a concern.

I found two spellings of "Nicole" dated to 1292.  The citation is:
Catledge, Scott (SKA: Colin Dubh), "An Index to the Given Names in the 1292
Census of Paris" (http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html).
Access date was 08 Mar 1999.
Under "N":
"Nichole la Normande"
Nicole la boursière"

Colin had no examples of "Danielle" as a woman's name, but two as a man's
name:
Under "D":
"Daniel de Breban, cordoanier"
"Danyel le Breton"

Anyone got Dauzat handy?  Mine's at home.

>Also, could "Xristina Marion Whiterose" pass?  Possibly an English / French
>combo.?

Actually, you can get this through as English with a double given name.
(Insert normal caveat about double given names really not being period in
England, but we register them... etc, etc)

1) Xristina:  I have only seen the X as a scribal abbreviation in England,
so this name would need to be submitted as Cristina or Christina.  She
could still write it using the X all she wants.  Here are some spellings
for her to think about:
"Christiana" dated to 1154 as a given name on p. 96 of Reaney & Wilson
(3rd) under Christian.
"Cristina" dated to 1219 as a given name on p. 96 of Reaney & Wilson (3rd)
under Christin.
"Cristiane" dated to 1379 as a given name on p. 180 of Bardsley under
Christian.
"Cristiana" dated to 1379 as a given name on p. 180 of Bardsley under
Christian.
"Crystina" dated to 1296 as a given name on p. 497 of Reaney & Wilson (3rd)
under Witherington.

2) Marion:  "Marion" dated to 1379 as a given name on p. 298 of Reaney &
Wilson (3rd) under Marion.

3) Whiterose:  Reaney & Wilson (3rd edition) list the spelling "Rederose"
dated to 1301 under Redrose.  Also under that header is "Woderose" dated to
1332 (wild rose).  Given these examples, and the fact that the concept of a
white rose was known in period, the name Whiterose should be registerable
as a created locative byname.

Cite the "Rederose" & "Woderose" documentation (in the paragraph above) to
document the spelling of the "-rose" half of Whiterose; and also to
document the basic construction of this name.

For the first half of Whiterose, she can spell it "Whit-", "White-", or
"Whyt-".  Here is the documentation for each of these options.

"Whit-":
"Whitlock" 1581 (p. 808 of Bardsley under Whitelock)

"White-":
"Whiteside" 1575 (p. 808 of Bardsley under Whiteside)
"Whitehande" 1578 & 1583 (p. 807 of Bardsley under Whitehand).

"Whyt-":
"Whytlegge" 1584 (Reaney & Wilson, 3rd, p. 487 under Whitelegge)
"Whytwoode" 1532 (Reaney & Wilson, 3rd, p. 488 under Whitewood)

>Thanks for any help you can give!!
>
>Curstaidh

Hope this helps,

Mari