ANSTHRLD - Bovines strike again!

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Thu May 6 17:38:25 PDT 1999

> Scratchings in the catbox of my mind seem to hint that there
> are some precedents against using tincture words in household
> names.

(Being a catbox expert, I decided to help.)

>From the LoAR dated September 1994, no clue as to page number:

   Jonathan Thorne. Household name and badge for House of the Argent
   Horse. Gules, ermined argent, a single-headed chess knight contourny
   argent.
   (If registered, this was to have been held jointly with Tiernehy Shay
   O'Malley bint Muhammad, but her name is being returned in this LoAR.)
   "Argent" is not a common English element; as an adjective referring to
   a color, its use is confined almost entirely to heraldry. English,
   unlike German, has no tradition of house names based on armory; the
   authentic usage would be White Horse.

Registered on the October 1994 LoAR:

   Edric Aaron Hartwood. Household name only (see RETURNS for badge) for
   Domus Draconis Argentei.

  (This implies to me that the above is a language-specific problem.  -T)

>From the September 1997 LoAR, under RETURNS:

    One Thousand Eyes, Barony of. Order name for Order of the Argent
    Peacock.

    The household name for Jonathan Thorne's House of the Argent Horse was
    returned September 94 for the following reason:

    "Argent" is not a common English element; as an adjective referring to
    a color, its use is confined almost entirely to heraldry. English,
    unlike German, has no tradition of house names based on armory; the
    authentic usage would be White Horse.

    Given this reason for return (the household was subsequently
    registered as Maison du Cheval d'Argent) we are returning this for the
    same reason.

>From the September 1997 LoAR, under RETURNS:

    Beorn of the Northern Sea. Household name and badge for House Argent
    Lyre. (Fieldless) On an acorn sable a lyre argent.

    The household name for Jonathan Thorne's House of the Argent Horse was
    returned September 94 for the following reason:

    "Argent" is not a common English element; as an adjective referring to
    a color, its use is confined almost entirely to heraldry. English,
    unlike German, has no tradition of house names based on armory; the
    authentic usage would be White Horse.

    Given this reason for return (the household was subsequently
    registered as Maison du Cheval d'Argent), House Argent Lyre is also
    unacceptable. The badge is being returned for conflict with the badge
    of Traidenis Vilkas of Winter Oak (Fieldless) On an acorn sable, a
    wolf's head cabossed argent., with one CD for fieldlessness and
    nothing for change of type only on the tertiary. Even if there had not
    been a conflict we would have had to return this for a redraw. As
    drawn it is not identifiability an acorn.

And there you have it.  Yes, as a matter of fact I *did* just go through
five years' of LoARs in order to find these.

- - Teceangl
- --
      Carpe ductum!        -FdM