ANSTHRLD - Name Documentation

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Mon May 24 21:02:08 PDT 1999

On Mon, 24 May 1993, Doug Bell <debell at txcyber.com> wrote:
> Since Crystal is a form of Christopher it is a masculine name.
> Withycombe's reference dates the feminine use of the name as modern
> related to such names as Ruby and other gem stones.
>
> Despite this the SCA has in the past registered Chrystal as a name
> for either sex.

Certainly the SCA CoA does not do chromosome checks, and it cares not
for the real sex of the person.  In that sense either a man or woman
may register it.

I am not sure whether it could be used as a feminine name per se --
for example, Crystal ingen Diarmuid, where in contect the forename
must be the name of a person with big wabbly bits up *there* instead
of little wabbly bits down *there*.

Now Withycombe gives examples of male names being bourne by women, and
she believed that the forms were unmodified (that she was named and
called Nicholas, et cetera).  Lowlands Scots culture not being much
different in terms of name practices (he writes, inviting a
thunderbolt, lightning flash, or shazam out of Africa), I would expect
a similar use there.  In other cultures, however (e.g. Gaelic), I
simply don't know if it would be possible.

Daniel "C is for CLARA who wasted away" de Lincolia
- --
                   *** NEW HOME E-MAIL ADDRESS ***
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work addresses are  tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com.