ANSTHRLD - Grant question

Amanda Lewanski editor at texas.net
Thu Oct 14 13:28:54 PDT 1999

"Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle" wrote:

> I agree. I would be in favor of making the Lion at least a Grant-level
> award, although that would pain all of the
> Ansteorran-tradition-fascists (like Robin) out there.

C'mon, Tadgh, don't hold back. Let us know what you *really* think.  : )

You made me curious, though, and I just called Jan at work to ask why the Lion
was created non-armigerous. He said that he doesn't recall specific words or
anything, but it was felt that people who got the order didn't really need
additional status from the award; it was a recognition of a status they already
had. This award was not *intended* to give people status; it was a recognition
of what they were. You don't get a Lion so much as you ARE a Lion, and the king
recognizes it, but you've probably already garnered other recognition by going
around doing what Lions do (which is pretty much what the list concluded, wasn't
it, anyway? That Lions generally all have higher precedence-conferring awards?)

He said it's always bothered some people that the award wasn't easily
pigeonholed, but it was kind of meant to be like that. They wanted to make it
different from everything else, prestigious because of its rarity and what it
took to earn one, rather than prestigious because of the rank it gave.

My personal opinion is that making it a grant-level (or anything-level) award
wouldn't necessarily make it more period, and it would most definitely damage
its mystique and prestige.

- --Alisandre, the old Lion's wife (who must go tend a cub now)