ANSTHRLD - Not - Grant question

Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 13:29:30 PDT 1999

- --- jruble <jruble at napa-bbi.com> wrote:

> So has the college adopted an official plan of action to cover the
> remove of the requirement for the office of herald in shires,
> cantons, etc.?

If I understand it correctly, and I might not, there will be new
"Heralds at Large" assigned as assistants to the Regional Heralds to
handle such things, and such other stuff with which they might lend a
hand.

> To wit, is there going to be more open consultation tables,
> herald-at-large wandering training sessions, and a new policy of
> registering arms only through the branch herald?

Good points, and I haven't heard any of them addressed.

> Finally, is there anyway to encourage folks to want to become
> heralds?

(Be very careful what registered armory they're exposed to...?)

> Tadgh and Daniel just went after each with verbal knives.

And we're friends. Just think what would happen to an innocent
bystander, such as someone who misspelled my name.

> If either one of them met a sudden untraceable demise or otherwise
> stopped playing,

What a GREAT idea....

> they would take a large quantity of knowledge with them.

Not that anyone would care.

> It is a tough field of study, offering little recognition and fewer
> rewards.

Oh, I don't know. I've gotten at least three awards out of my time as
an officer of arms. It's not *easy*, but then, what is?

> And yet it adds so much to this hobby of ours.

Both for good and for ill.

> Its absence or degradation of quality would be felt and reflected
> throughout our kingdom.

And has.

> But who wants to study an arcane, impractical science?

Those who studied it before they got into the SCA, who got into the SCA
primarily because it gave them a chance to do it on a daily basis, and
who will continue to study it once they're sick and tired of the
infantile politics and hypocrisy in the SCA.

> Yes, I disagree with the decision.  But it has been made.  Now how to
> we use it for growth?

Well, for one thing, rather than complacently expecting local officers
to encourage heraldic knowledge and display in each group, it may wake
up the Old-Timers and force them to confront the fact that there's a
lot of work out there to do, and it isn't getting done.

Of course, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.

Tadhg