ANSTHRLD - Name Submission Question

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Tue Oct 26 15:52:17 PDT 1999

Riane asks about submission of a name and of a backup name.  First, I
agree that we ought to see the names in question.  Maybe name #1 is
just fine.  Maybe name #2 isn't doable either.  Maybe name #1 is from
their legal name and so gets much more leeway.  Maybe the pig will
sing.

If he's willing to pay for two name submissions, he can certainly do
two names, and indicate on both which one should win in case both make
it.  Paying twice seems unpleasant to me, and I'm not the one who'd
have to pay.

Laurel gives a little leeway in some cases -- "If the spelling
'Foobar' is not registerable, I'd prefer the attested period name
'Foobaz'" is about as far as I'd push it, and I'd make a special note
to Bordure to put that on the LoI, and I'd make darned sure the backup
was rock-solid, and I'd make the backup be close to the submission
(e.g., alternate spellings), and I might e-mail Laurel about it first
to be sure.

Kingdom, on the other hand, is likely to be much more forgiving, if
for no other reason that we can all gather around Kathri and make
puppy-disappointment faces at her.  I'd suggest working with Kathri
*after* consulting with this list about the specific names.

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
                    *** NEW PERSONAL ADDRESS ***
    tmcd at austin.ibm.com and tmcd at us.ibm.com are my work accounts.